Cool Roofs on Destin, FL Homes
Last week, I wrote about the benefits of landscape shading for Destin, FL homes. This week, I’m going to focus on cool roofs.
Satisfying both meanings of the word “cool”, these roofs combine hip with energy efficiency. A cool roof reflects the sunlight and absorbs less heat – also known as solar reflectance and thermal emittance. They may be constructed out of a highly reflective paint, sheet covering, or highly reflective tiles or shingles. Cool roofs average temperatures that are about 50 degrees less than that of standard or dark colored roofs.
If the difference in temperature isn’t enough to entice you, then consider these benefits as well:
- Since your air conditioning unit won’t have to work quite as hard as it would with a standard roof, you can expect reduced electricity bills.
- If many houses in the same neighborhood have cool roofs, you can expect fewer power outages during peak times due to a lower electricity demand.
- Areas outdoors (such as a patio) that are shaded by the roof, but not air conditioned, will be cooler than they would be with a standard roof.
- Since your roof isn’t taking the quite the beating it was before you upgraded, you can expect the service life of your roof to last longer.
- Because you are using less electricity, you will be contributing to a reduction in power plant emissions such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides, and mercury.
To learn more about cool roofs, download Guidelines for Selecting Cool Roofs from the EERE Building Technologies Program.
Make sure you check the Veach View Blog frequently to get more energy (and money) saving tips. And as always, if you or anyone you know is interested in buying real estate in Destin, FL, or selling a home in Destin, FL, contact Kerry Veach online or call him directly at 1.800.879.0309.
With over 1,000 closings, 20+ years of experience and a full-time real estate team, it’s no surprise that 95% of Kerry’s business comes from referrals.